Jan 7, 2006

All the tea in China
I went to DiHua Street today to pick up my dress for Steph's wedding. This is the fabric market:


While I was there, I decided to go down the street, which is lined with tea and dried goodies stores like this one:


I found some very cool tea, including rose, chrysanthemum (when I asked which one I should buy, the lady said in Chinese, "the one for good digestion or the one that's good for your eyes?") and lavender, but when I tried to find tea bags (by the way, NO ONE spoke English), they all looked at me like "what?" Finally I went into a store and asked a helpful man who had yelled out "Happy New Year" to help me find tea bags. His mother (I think) looked at me, concerned, and poured me a cup of tea that she seemed to think would help my health. Finally he got the idea and told me to go to a store down the street. I got there and realized that it was a bag store: plastic bags, gift bags, shopping bags...


Of course! Why would tea bags be sold with the tea when there's a whole store just for bags?
The logic is astounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment