Oct 23, 2005

The Africa Problem
I just watched The Constant Gardener, and despite it being longer than necessary and slightly unsatisfactory, plot-wise, I highly recommend it for calling attention to more of the issues going on in Africa. (Other good films for that: Hotel Rwanda, Beyond Borders, The Power of One, Cry, the Beloved Country.)
First of all, this was the first time I’d seen a dramatization of a Janjaweed attack, which was gut-wrenching. Also, it talks about the way pharmaceutical companies exploit people in desperate situations. Now that may only be a movie plot, but if baby formula companies can sway a poor African mother from breastfeeding and get her to buy formula instead, which she will save up for so her baby will be healthy, but then water down so much that the child becomes malnourished instead, why wouldn’t drug companies do worse?
As if the mayhem caused by various militia groups in Congo, Uganda and Sudan and the poverty we’re supposed to be making history aren’t enough, we’ve still got an AIDS issue on top of all that.
Why isn’t more being done already? I realize we’re all grown-ups and that we are aware of the idolatry that exists not only in every country, but in every heart. Money makes the world go around. And who of us will get richer by helping Africa? But I hope that there are some of us who are trying to topple that idol and help anyway.
I’m starting to ramble on by now, but here is the point, in two questions:
1. What can I do about it?
2. Am I doing it?
First, if you haven’t read Gideon Strauss’ excellent meditation on this, please do.
Personally, I have found great comfort in Jacques of Congo, whom I’m sponsoring through the World Vision Hope Child initiative. In fact, I find more comfort in him than $40 a month should ever allow anyone to have. But at the same time, it is a start. And it may not change the country, but it will change his life, and maybe even his family’s lives. And that’s one thing I can do right now.
There are many more things to do, though. For instance, support Oxfam, The Red Cross and CRWRC, or get involved with Amnesty International.
I think the other key is to get inspired, encourage others, and even hold each other accountable. On that note, please comment with any other ideas you have.
And thank you for reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment