I'm far from fluent in Mandarin, but I've picked up enough for some interesting conversations, many of which happen in cabs. Tonight's was with a sweetheart of a driver who complimented me on my language prowess, explained how he learns Japanese by listening to the radio, and the rest went something like this (roughly translated):
Cabbie: Hey, so I have a question for you. You know how we Chinese have different blood types? Like, A, B, O... Is it the same for foreigners?
Me: Yeah, we have the same kinds of blood. I'm O.
Cabbie, incredulous: Really?!! But wait, we also have "rh" something...
Me: Yeah, us too. Did you know that we're the same? I could give blood to you and you could give blood to me.
Cabbie: Are you sure? But you have blonde hair. I have black hair.
Me: But that doesn't have any connection with blood, that's from something else. (Yeah, I don't know how to explain genetics in Chinese.)
Cabbie: But you have blonde hair and I have black hair! Wow.
Me, because I just couldn't resist: Did you know I could get blood from a black person, too?
Cabbie: A black person?!! No way! But their skin is dark and yours is white!
Me (remembering my Sunday school M&Ms lesson): Yes, but inside, we're all the same.
Cabbie: Really? Wow, that's so interesting. I never knew that. How is that possible?
Me: I think it's because we're all God's children.
Cabbie: God bless you! Thank you so much. God bless you!
Then he gave me a NT$20 discount.
That is classic!! I'm glad you used the opportunity to challenge his thinking. :) And I am super-impressed you know how to talk about Rh-factor in Chinese!!
ReplyDelete