Jul 25, 2006

If it smells like funk it must be them

My lovely roommate Libeck, former coworker Igor, and his friend all accompanied me to the Black Eyed Peas concert last night, and it was KILLER. We never get big concerts out here, so I feel like most locals don't really know what to make of it all. A lot of people were just kind of standing around. We, on the other hand, were shaking our booties for the whole almost-two-hour show. Which is a long time. Which is why I was amazed that we managed to keep on jumping through the finale (a very non-PC "Let's Get Retarded").
On the other hand, I didn't think it was the best concert I'd ever been to. For one thing, despite some hopes on Igor's part that the Pussycat Dolls would open ("they did in Europe!"), the opening was some local rappers, breakdancers, and girls in tiny little tank tops and mini skirts wandering (rythmlessly) around the stage. I guess that's what you get when a club sponsors the show. The whole main act didn't really surprise me at any point, and while I realize that Jack Johnson's "Gone Going" is on their new album (as is "Miserlou"), I think more straight up Peas goodness would have fit the bill better. Also disappointing was Fergie's new single... I think one Gwen Stefani is enough. But maybe she'll prove me wrong.
She was a major hit; all she had to do was strike a pose and the crowd went NUTS. will.i.am, on the other hand, tried a lot harder, spouting compliments non-stop. "We've been in Singapore, Hong Kong... But the ladies in Taipei are the prettiest! I'm gonna marry me a Taiwanese girl!" Not that I wouldn't volunteer to give him a little tour. apl.de.ap was adorable and did a whole song in Tagalog, and it was Taboo's birthday, so they made us all sing to him, and then he took a cue from Will and said, "all I want for my birthday is a Taipei lady to show me the way." Hmm. Classy.
Anyway. The highlight for me was "Where Is the Love?" It's a great song, and I really didn't expect to be worshipping and praying in the middle of a BEP concert, but I sure was. And because Taipei has rules about noise pollution after 10 p.m., it ended fairly early, so I should even be able to stay awake today!

No comments:

Post a Comment