Denominations. I know there's a lot of very good reasons for them. But they still make me wistful. It seems to me that they're not the way it's supposed to be.
1 Corinthians 12 talks about all the different kinds of gifts that believers are blessed with. They vary from wisdom to faith to tongues. The thing that makes me sad is when it continues by describing the body of Christ. Now, I know that in some larger sense, there's an element of unity between people from all denominations. Of course. Great. But imagine the church that meets together, bringing all kinds of gifts to one place, where people can learn from each other and help each other with their own gifts. I know that places like this exist, but too often people leave places like the CRC because they want to explore more charismatic gifts, and leave places like the Pentecostal church because they don't feel intellectually fed. And that sucks.
Is it any coincidence that, right after this discussion on the church's gifts and unity, should come what is possibly the most well-known passage on love in the world?
No comments:
Post a Comment