Mar 9, 2011

They're men — manly men!

This article about the habits of Shanghainese men shows a lot about the unique appeal of many Asian men, who often come across as a little girly to foreign eyes. However, I have always felt that a man's willingness to carry purses and wear pink displays a confidence in his masculinity rather than a lack of it.
China surpasses the world in yet another category: Quality husbands

Hot.

3 comments:

  1. Nate Van Kampen10:03 AM

    Intersting article but as a Western husband I take a few exceptions. First, the article makes general sweeping statements about Western men. While there is some truth to these statements, they typically apply to my parents generation. Most husbands I know, myself included divide cooking and cleaning responsibilities evenly. In fact, I do 70 percent of the cooking. We clean together. Many of friends' marriages work the same. The second major issue I have with the article is that it does portray Shanghainese women as very empowered. The inference I make from the article is that Shanghainese women do nothing but shop, eat, balance the cheque book and visit with family. The men make all the money and do all the house work. My wife would feel diempowered as a partner in our lives if her role was reduced to this. She loves working anf contributing financially. We view each other as equal partners, with different strengths and weaknesses based on our whole person, not on our gender or any prescribed gender roles. I realize this value nuetral cultural difference, but I felt the need to a least come to the defense of Western husbands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate Van Kampen10:05 AM

      Quick correction: I meant to say does not empower Shanghainese women

      Delete
  2. Excellent points. :)

    ReplyDelete