Time for a rant: Cell phones should be neither seen nor heard, generally speaking. Why have we rearranged our etiquette standards to allow incredibly rude behaviour in the name of communication? Let's look at a few situations, and my not-so-humble opinions about them.
- At Home. Okay, here you can do whatever you want. This is your cell phone fun zone. Go nuts.
- Out and About. I mean, on the street, in malls, on public transportation, and so on. This is your not-quite-as-fun zone. Go ahead and have that ringer on, but have a clue about what's going on around you. This is not only so you won't annoy innocent bystanders, it's also for your own privacy. Do you really want the entire bus knowing the details of your recent financial problems or romantic entanglements?*
- At a Restaurant. During most meals, anytime you're with others, that phone should probably be stowed and silenced. That said, I definitely break this rule on a regular basis. There are some practical reasons for this, but the main cause is that my companions and I have unintentionally set the guidelines by leaving our cell phones out. This sends the message that we're not giving each other our full attention. There are other people on our minds. We have other places to be. Rude, no? So, I've resolved to be more conscientious about this one.
- At the Office. This is the major pet peeve that caused me to blog this post in the first place. Numerous times a day, I hear obnoxious cell phone ringtones play repeatedly. Coworkers wander away from their desks, but the cell phone stays, and it makes its presence known to the rest of the floor. I realize that in some lines of work, cell phones are vital to doing business. But in those cases, you're probably carrying the mobile with you and can catch it before the ring causes your colleagues to want to tear their ears off. Regardless, I think a better solution here is to either turn the ring volume way down or set it to vibrate. At least that way, when your phone does disrupt the peace, it does so in a more polite manner.
- While Attending Church, Concerts, Plays, Movies, and More. Unless you are expecting a call to tell you that your wife is in labour, or that the kidney you've been waiting for is available, turn the phone off. Period. It's annoying for everyone else, and embarrassing for you. And don't go thinking that text messaging is so much better, although it's generally easier to get away with in church (not that I'd ever try it... ahem...), because that bright screen is amazingly distracting in a darkened room. Now, non-classical concerts are another story, of course, since cell-phone-waving is sometimes even encouraged at these venues. Even so, many think it detracts from the concert experience. (You can read what Michael Stipe, Feist and Ice Cube have to say about that here.)
Have I forgotten anything? Do you disagree? Post your comments below. And remember, my cell phone is for MY convenience, not yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment