Aug 9, 2006

Useless information
We came in second at Pub Quiz tonight, losing by a mere 2 points. Highlights included Max offering Beth a tequila for her sheer enthusiasm at recognizing Josh Holloway and our whole group's enthusiasm at knowing who Zechariah and Elizabeth's child was. Everyone was like, "huh?" so I yelled out, "we're missionaries!" Which of course prompted some fun discussions afterwards.
I, as usual, helped very little, but there was this one question: "What can be complex, mixed or vulgar?" Somehow I knew it was fractions, but I had no idea why. My teammates were going, "homes?" "mothers?" "words?" But I told them to trust me.
It wasn't until I got home that I realized I knew the answer because of good old Gilbert and Sullivan. In The Gondoliers, two men find themselves married to three woman.
Giuseppe: That's two-thirds of a husband to each wife.
Tessa: O Mount Vesuvius, here we are in arithmetic! My good sir, one can't marry a vulgar fraction!
Giuseppe: You've no right to call me a vulgar fraction.
Who says performing in operettas in high school doesn't teach you things you'll use later in life? Not me, people. Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment