Alexander
I've started a relationship with Alexander... that's the name of my gym. (Gotcha, eh?) I suspect the name is in reference to the fact that we're all clearly in training to conquer the world, like Alexander the Great, but who knows? The Chinese translation comes out as "something something mountain big" which means nothing, as far as I know.
So I've been pretty good about going; I kind of feel like I have to get my money's worth, even though I won my year's membership, so it's really free. Well, Melissa won it, but she's the world's best roommate and gave it to me. It's all brand new, so it's very posh and exciting. There are a few things I'm not quite used to yet, though. Some people like to work out in street clothes. Some people like to read magazines while on the weight machines, and they'll just sitting there doing a million easy reps, which seems like a waste of time to me. And some people like to make friends with me while I'm in the locker room. Don't get me wrong: I want to be a friendly person, but practicing English with someone I just met when all I'm sporting is a towel is not really my idea of a pleasant encounter. And if I felt self-concious in Canada, this is multiplied a million times here. Like, I went into a dance class yesterday with about 60 people in it and once I got in there, the instructor started counting in English. In Canada, you FEEL like people are staring at you. In Taiwan, they are.
In spite of all that, I'm aiming for three days a week. We'll see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment