My trip was good--if busy and wedding-filled. Don't get me wrong; I love weddings, but the execution and planning of two sort of took up the entire "vacation." I came home more tired than I was when I left. But that's what long weekends are for... hopefully it warms up in this freezer of a city...
So, while I was in Hamilton, I was lent a copy of Eats, Shoots & Leaves by the always-generous in everything (including beer and compliments) Dan Postma, and have discovered a lovely little theory within its pages:
...In Beachcomber's hilarious columns about the Apostropher Royal in The Express, a certain perversely comforting law is often reiterated: the Law of Conservation of Apostrophes. A heresy since the 13th century, this law states that a balance exists in nature: "For every apostrophe omitted from an it's, there is an extra one put into an its." Thus the number of apostrophes in circulation remains constant, even if this means we have double the reason to go and bang our heads against a wall.
This reminds me of a certain Fruitcake Theory, the premise of which was that there are actually only about 500 fruitcakes in existence, and they are simply traded around every Christmas. Danny Irvine had a similar law for candy canes. Very entertaining to consider what else this sort of thing may be true of...
No comments:
Post a Comment